1. Think about an experience when you felt like an outsider. What made you feel that way? Did someone help you to become part of his or her group? If so, how did they do this?
As a matter of fact, I've felt like a social outcast my whole life. Up until the past few years, I always considered myself socially insecure and incapable. I remember being at youth groups, youth camps, sleepovers, and even standard social gatherings and feeling a painful tightness in my chest. That fear held me back from engaging in conversation and fellowship.
Growing up, God has connected me with so many people who helped excavate the timidity I had. One woman in particular comes to mind. This woman gathered me and three other girls under her wing because she sensed we all had God-given leadership potential. We would meet every once in a while and talk about the problems and blessings in our lives, sharing each other's burdens and joy. To this day, she is still mentoring us and we are a very tightly knitted group of friends. Since I am accepted and loved by them, I feel open to accept and love others.
Getting closer to God, knowing I am accepted and loved by Him, and the encouragement I received from other Christ-followers added to the growth of my self-confidence. Presently, I feel much more confident in myself and my social abilities. Most importantly, without the wall of fear hindering me, I can better love others the way God wants me to.
So there I was, a fish out of water, and God trawled me out of the ocean of insecurity through the love of my friends. Sounds cheesy, I know, but it's kind of true.
In conclusion, I guess the point I ultimately want to make is this:
Go fishing. Whether you are confident or timid, you'll never catch anything if you don't cast your line.
| Go fishing!?! Don't listen to this girl; she's crazy. |
I know that I've told you this before, but I still have such a hard time picturing you as timid and shy. I am so glad for this woman who took you under her wing and shaped you into the woman you are now. You are such a big help to those around you that feel like that "fish out of water," and now I can see where it comes from! I still love your little fish by the way. :) What you say is very true, "you'll never catch anything if you don't cast your line".
ReplyDelete"You'll never catch anything if you don't cast your line." That takes guts, and you have grown yours in pounds. I'm so proud of you, Ariana.
ReplyDelete