Saturday, September 10, 2011

2. Queensland Leaders

Hello again! Glad you came back. Below is my second assignment for Leadership Development.

1. What creative metaphor would you use to describe leadership, and why?
Imagine my joy when I read that question. I'll just "dive right in."
As I was saying in my previous blog, defining leadership is like swimming with fish. Leadership itself, however is like swimming in the Great Barrier Reef. It's exciting, a little dangerous, everyone wants to do it, some are somewhat afraid to, but those who experience its wonder never regret it. In addition, there is so much more to it than meets the eye. As the book Exploring Leadership states, according to James MacGregor, "Leadership is one of the most observed and least understood phenomena on earth," kind of like the Reef. Also, one should have a guide who knows the best places to explore in order to satisfactorily enjoy his or her adventure and the similar adventures he or she may have later in life. Finally, everyone will come out of that experience with different perspectives and stories. Overall, no one can deny the great significance either the Great Barrier Reef or leadership has in the world.

2. Which theories of leadership do you agree with more: the historical theories of the leader as director of the followers, or the contemporary emerging theories of shared leadership? Why?
In think both theories contribute to the operation of leadership as a whole. When two or more chief leaders are in charge, viewpoint conflict is to be expected. Having a single, capable leader is an adequate method because he or she is solely responsible for the guidance of his or her following. He or she will also be able to maintain the authority to reject anything he or she believes will impair the performance of his or her team.
On the other hand, as culture changes, so leadership over that culture requires change. Namely American culture has become very relationally developed over history. I can't imagine joined leadership to be such an adverse technique. Especially over large groups of people, two or more administrators are able to easier allocate assignments and accomplish tasks more efficiently.
Depending on the circumstances, either form of leadership seems highly effective.

3. Thinking about an organization you are currently or have participated in: how is it like a machine (predictable and orderly) and how is it like a weather system (uncontrollable, but with an underlying pattern)?
As I mentioned before in my previous blog, I was involved in my youth group's worship team. Leading a worship band is like a machine in that there is an established goal to reach - competently performing the songs and guiding high school students into God's presence - and a set pattern to accomplish that goal. Leading a worship band is most like a weather system when juxtaposing some of the people involved. For instance, there were always times when someone couldn't make it to practices because of external and unavoidable circumstances, but that occurrence was understandable and expected.
Whether orderly or uncontrollable, leading a worship team was an experience I'll never regret.

Thank you again for reading.
Why specifically the Great Barrier Reef, you ask? I like it. Go make up your own metaphor.

fish
Hi guys! My name is Admiral Ackbar, and I'm a leader.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog makes me smile! I love that I can see personality come through when answering the questions along with your final statement. I completely agree with your metaphor of leadership being like the Great Barrier Reef. It is very true that no one can fully understand leadership and how it works, just like the Great Barrier Reef.
    Being able to see your worship team as being both machine-like, and uncontrollable, lets me know you have a good perspective. Having the ability to see things from multiple viewpoints will help you in leadership, no matter what you do in life. :)

    ReplyDelete